The Healthcare Leadership Council (HLC) launched Medicare Today in November 2004 to reach out to Medicare beneficiaries who needed reliable information on how to get the greatest value from the new Medicare benefits provided by the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003. Medicare Today administers the partnership of over 400 national and local organizations including National Association of Family Physicians and National Alliance for Hispanic Health.
- Educates and informs Medicare beneficiaries, the media and the public at large about the benefits provided through Medicare, including the preventive and prescription drug benefits;
- Brings together partners representing consumers, patient advocates, providers, employers, and others with interest in helping beneficiaries maximize their coverage;
- Reaches seniors nationwide in personal, meaningful ways through individual or small group contacts in their own communities;
- Disseminates information via local media, organizations, agencies and health influencers (physicians, pharmacists, nurses, hospitals, etc.); and
- Develops materials and tools that are easy to use and to understand to tell beneficiaries exactly what they will gain from the Medicare's offerings.